30 September 2009

nlp for lazy learning

I’m currently reading this in bunches. It’s a neat little book by a living-in-England Irishwoman diana beaver, which is focussed on ways people learn, but ventures a fair way into real Neuro Linguistic Programming.

There is some controvery about NLP since the two founders (Bandler & Grinder) argued with one another & ceased working with one another, but a key factor in this book is that the author often gives small examples which one can test... & they work.

Last year, I figured out the principal reason for me going through school with a genius-level IQ but getting only slightly-above-average results, then falling into IT & finding it to be paradise: I’m a visuo-spatial learner.

Where someone with photographic memory would take away a detailed image for life (& a decade later be able to recall serial numbers, signatures et al), I take away the patterns, the connections, the network — which is IT.

So... in general learning/communication modes, I’m visual: “I see what you mean, I get the picture.” There is also auditory (words, tones etc), which would be “I hear what you’re saying. I’m in tune with you.” Finally, there is kinesthetic (tactile stuff & emotions): “That feels right. I’m getting a grip on it.” Kinesthetic describes my VSO fairly well.

Now that I know that these exist (well, I did read Frogs Into Princes a decade or so ago, but with someone constantly undermining & sabotaging everything one does, retaining a focus on esoterica like that is not so easy), I’m able to begin to understand them, so I can begin to really understand someone who uses those mental modes, & so express myself to them much more effectively.

Hoorah! (-:

2 comments:

sen said...

e search on diana beaver NLP and for the me first link is:
http://www.dianabeaver.co.uk/
With a small description from the site :
Make life simpler, be more effective; have more confidence, more self-esteem, more time and a lot more fun, with NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming)and Lazy ...
www.dianabeaver.co.uk/ - Similar -

Problem is the link is um.. very visual (may be NSFW!) and has NOTHING to do with NLP.

btw, google books has the book:
http://is.gd/3PRhB

but very interesting... sounds much like me.

Leon RJ Brooks said...

Glad that you found it useful, sen. Please feel free to keep us informed of any of your progress...