Skip to main content

Road rage as a participatory sport

I pulled out onto Erindale Road today, turning right (north) from Delawney Street behind another vehicle. Fully expecting them to proceed smoothly and knowing that there was plenty of shelter from the traffic islands to do this if they bailed, I followed them across two very temporarily empty lanes.

When they propped instead of proceeding, I widened my turn and parked behind their left rear quarter, not blocking the driver’s view of northbound traffic, and waited for them to pick a gap in said traffic and get on with it.

Instead of looking for a gap, the driver and her boyfriend ignored the traffic and started verbally abusing me — and I do mean abusing, too, starting with “WTF do you think you’re doing?” and working down from there to coarse and most uninformed discussions of my anatomy and habits.

So I picked my own gap and drove off past them. There was plenty of room for them to follow me, but they were much too busy with important things like hurling abuse and feeling self-righteous to actually pay any attention to the traffic. Another driver waiting on Delawney for the intersection to clear started abusing them for continuing to block it as I dwindled rapidly from view.

I saw no reports of Balcatta riots on the evening news, so I presume they were able to settle their remaining differences without bloodshed, but it does make me wonder just what sends someone so troppo, makes it so necessary for their own (wrong, IMESHO) PoV to be heard that they completely lose the plot while still in nominal control of a tonne or two of potentially lethal metal in the middle of four very busy lanes of traffic.

If abuse is going to be handed out, it might as well server a useful purpose, for which I much prefer my own techniques.

I employed one particular technique out of the window as a passenger many years ago to great effect while changing premises from Rockingham to Kardinya: the driver of another vehicle had begun to pull out of a tee junction directly in front of our heavily laden sedan plus trailer and my driver had to swerve into the other lane (to the horror of a driver there) to avoid a collision. I screamed “ABUSE!” at them at the top of my lungs as we passed. The driver hadn’t heard what I said, but his passenger did and was laughing so hard that he couldn’t coherently explain to his driver. They were both still laughing when they pulled up next to us at a traffic light in Spearwood about 10km later.

In tangentially related news I recently acquired a VHS-tape-sized "Perth Compact Street Directory" for AUD$10 from BigW with the intent of carrying it in my backpack while out cycling, and it turned out to be most useful for getting a street name right and for picking the correct street out of the relatively low-res imagery sections of Rockingham.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

every-application-is-part-of-a-toolkit at work

I have a LibreOffice Impress slideshow that I wish to turn into a narrated video. 1. export the slideshow as PNG images (if that is partially broken — as at now — at higher resolutions, Export Directly as PDF then use ‘pdftoppm’ (from the poppler-utils package) to do the same). 2. write a small C program (63 lines including comments) to display those images one at a time, writing a config file entry for Imagination (default transition: ‘cross fade’) based on when the image-viewer application (‘display,’ from the GraphicsMagick suite) is closed on each one; run that, read each image aloud, then close each image in turn. 3. run ‘Imagination’ over the config file to produce a silent MP4 video with the correct timings. 4. run ‘Audacity’ to record speech while using ‘SMPlayer’ to display the silent video, then export that recording as a WAV file. 4a. optionally, use ‘TiMIDIty’ to convert a non-copyright-encumbered MIDI tune to WAV, then import that and blend it with the speech (as a quiet b

new life for an old (FTX) PSU, improved life for one human

the LEDs on this 5m strip happen to emit light centred on a red that does unexpectedly helpful things to (and surprisingly deeply within) a human routinely exposed to it. it has been soldered to a Molex connector, plugged into a TFX power supply from a (retired: the MoBo is cactus) Small Form Factor PC, the assorted PSU connectors (and loose end from the strip) have been taped over. the LED strip cost $10.24 including postage, the rest cost $0, the PSU is running at 12½% of capacity, consumes less power than a laptop plug-pack despite running a fan. trial runs begin today.

boundaries

pushing the actual boundaries of the physical (not extremes, the boundaries themselves) can often remove barriers not otherwise perceived. one can then often resolve an issue itself, rather than merely stonewalling at the physical consequences of the issue.