Eric Flint writes:
Baen’s Universe, 3rd post: subscriptions
Starting early next month — don’t worry, we’ll let you know, you can bet on
it — we’ll be starting to offer subscriptions to Baen’s Universe magazine.
I’m using the term “subscription” a bit loosely, since technically what well
be selling are six-volume packages — i.e., the first year of the magazine — much the same way we sell the Grantville Gazette.
The difference is simple: With a package, you always get volumes 1-6, regardless of when you make the purchase. Whereas, with a subscription, you’d start getting your copies as of the date of the subscription itself. That is, you might start with Volume 4 and continue on through Volume 9.
We may eventually move to a modified traditional subscription system, but we don’t want to do it for the moment because that sort of subscription gets you involved with a number of complex legal/financial issues. By keeping them as package sales, we can keep everything simple.
That said, I’ll use the term “subscription” henceforth to refer to the
We won’t be selling single issues right away, just subscriptions. The cost of a one-year subscription (Volumes 1-6) is $30. Thats a savings of $6 from what it would cost you to buy the issues one at a time.
In addition, as an incentive for people to buy their packages now — because we need the money, dammit, to keep rolling — instead of waiting until the magazine first starts appearing in June, we are for a limited time only offering these additional items which you will get with a $30 subscription:
A free electronic copy of The World Turned Upside Down, a very large anthology of classic F&SF stories edited by David Drake, Eric Flint and Jim Baen.
- One electronic book package of your choice among the many we offer (see below).
In addition to selling packages, we are also unveiling at this time...
(roll of drums)
The UNIVERSE CLUB!
People who would like to support Universe magazine over and above simply buying a subscription can do so by buying a membership in the Universe Club. The memberships come in four classes, ascending in price from $50 to $500. Additional electronic (and other) goodies are provided for each class of members, getting more expansive the higher the membership level.
I’l discuss the details of the Universe Club in my fourth and final post. For the moment, returning to the subscriptions, I remind everyone that what youll get for a (measly) $30 is:
- Six issues — the first year — of Baens UNIVERSE magazine.
- A free electronic copy of The World Turned Upside Down, a very large anthology of classic F&SF stories edited by David Drake, Eric Flint and Jim Baen.
- One electronic book package of your choice from any of the following:
- David Drake, the RCN series:
With the Lightnings
Lt. Leary Commanding
The Far Side of the Stars
The Way to Glory
- David Drake Package A:
Grimmer Than Hell
Cross the Stars
- David Drake Package B:
Seas of Venus
The Sea Hag
- Eric Flint and David Drake, the Belisarius series package:
An Oblique ApproachSpecial bonus: The Tyrant
In The Heart of Darkness
The Tide of Victory
Islands, from Warmasters
- Eric Flint, 1632 series Package A:
Ring of Fire
1634: The Galileo Affair
- Eric Flint, 1632 series, Package B:
Grantville Gazette, Volumes 1-5
- Eric Flint and Dave Freer, the Rats, Bats & Vats series
Genie Out of the Bottle from Cosmic Tales II
Rats, Bats and Vats
The Rats, The Bats & The Ugly
- Keith Laumer:
The Lighter Side
A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
Legions of Space
- John Ringo, the Posleen series:
A Hymn Before Battle
When the Devil Dances
- John Ringo, the Council Wars series:
There Will Be Dragons
The Emerald Sea
- John Ringo and others, the Posleen spin-off series:
The Hero (with Mike Williamson)
Cally's War (with Julie Cochrane)
Watch on the Rhine (with Tom Kratman)
- James H. Schmitz:
TnT: Telzey Amberdon and Trigger Argee Together
Trigger and Friends
The Hub: Dangerous Territory
Agent of Vega & Other Stories
The Witches of Karres
- David Weber, Honor Harrington Series, Package A:
On Basilisk Station
The Honor of the Queen
The Short Victorious War
Field of Dishonor
- David Weber, Honor Harrington Series, Package B:
Flag in Exile
Honor Among Enemies
In Enemy Hands
- David Weber, Honor Harrington Series, Package C:
Crown of Slaves
Worlds of Honor #3: Changer of Worlds
Fanatic and In the Service of the Sword from Worlds of Honor #4: The Service of the Sword
- David Weber, Bahzell Series:
The War Gods Own
Oath of Swords
- David Weber, selected titles:
Empire From the Ashes (contains the complete Dahak series)
The Excalibur Alternative
The Apocalypse Troll (L)
- David Weber and John Ringo, March series:
March to the Sea
March to the Stars
- David Drake, the RCN series:
By the time were ready to put up the subscriptions for sale in early December, I think we’ll have some more packages to make available. In the
meantime, in my next post, I’ll discuss the Universe Club.