Skip to main content

No, I'm not operating from a false premise

I have no idea where Jason PB got that idea from. A homosexual could only be excluded from natural reproduction by being exclusively homosexual. And once you get to tubing babies, the whole sexual orientation thing goes out the window anyway, except that (so far) you need a host mother for life support between conception and birth.

Having met several Catholic priests, and also Jason, I’d guess he would probably do a pretty reasonable job of the actual mechanics of priesthood, but I’d also guess that he has no real interest in doing so.

As to the hands-in-air screams of accusation, read the freakin’ post! I said I don’t know which way it would fall, and I also said that “conventional wisdom” by which if you want it unpacked a bit I intend to mean “this is the gist of the opinions that I have most often heard expressed” would tend to disfavour homosexuals (not that I would tend to disfavour homosexuals).

Jason, neither the first statement (an opinion) nor the second (an observation) accuses you or homosexuals in general of being child molesters. The phrase “could fall either way” means that I’m prepared to discover that exclusive heterosexuals molest more children per capita than exclusive homosexuals. Read it! Understand it! Believe it!

I am most definitely not going to be bullied into retracting an honestly held opinion, nor am I going to lie about what I’ve observed. I long ago gave up trying to please everyone, mainly because it’s literally impossible. I appreciate that you’re offended by what I wrote, and it saddens me that you should take it to heart so, but I did not write it to offend anyone. I believe that you’ve read meaning into it through your own fears and apprehensions which is not there.

I in turn find it really offensive that if I write anything but fulsome praise for homosexuals, somebody will jump on me for it. There is apparently no such thing as a neutral opinion. It is apparently not safe to disagree with the politically correct position or explore the issues except possibly in a protected forum, and that sucks. Not that I spend my life doing such things, but anomalous minefields like that really irritate me and I’m not going to spend my life tiptoeing around them.

As to the numbers on this and other fronts I’ll start believing some when I see repeatable studies not done by either people with a homosexual interest (like Simon LeVay, Dean Hamer, Michael Bailey and Richard Pillard) or people with a vested interest (real or percieved) in rubbishing homosexuals.

The most reliable numbers I’ve seen so far indicate about 2.5% homosexual males, about 1% exclusively so, and about 1.5% homosexual females, about 0.5% exclusively so. I’ve seen similar numbers from a variety of different, independent studies (e.g. Penn State University), including a couple of census runs which yielded much lower proportions but probably didn’t ask the questions very well. While I don’t regard them as any kind of Absolute Truth, I tend to give studies like the PSU one more credence than values an order of magnitude or so higher. Roughly the same ratios seem to hold for the USA, Britain, Australia, and New Zealand.

Think about, for example, the number of actors portraying homosexuals in movies and on television and you’ll see that under-representation of your viewpoint is no more of a problem than under-representation of American society and values on Australian screens.

If you have some reliable numbers which disagree with those, please tell me about them.

James Purser, thank you for your clarification, which is absolutely correct (the official change seems to have happened in 1973); “clinical” wasn’t the best possible choice of word, “medical” might have been better. Homo|sexual == same|intercourse. Someone who willingly has sex with a member or members of the same gender is a homosexual, regardless of the age of the other participant, regardless of whether they also have sex with a member or members of the opposite gender, and regardless of whether they have any lifestyle markers (like “attends Stonewall or Connections regularly” or “is in a civil union with another member of the same gender”) to go with it.

Despite what I said about not spending my life dodging people’s pet peeves, this is the last post from me on the topic here this year, regardless of any responses. I’m sure I’m about to get flamed again by PLOA denizens who are sick of the topic, and I’d much rather use the space to talk about more interesting things anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

every-application-is-part-of-a-toolkit at work

I have a LibreOffice Impress slideshow that I wish to turn into a narrated video. 1. export the slideshow as PNG images (if that is partially broken — as at now — at higher resolutions, Export Directly as PDF then use ‘pdftoppm’ (from the poppler-utils package) to do the same). 2. write a small C program (63 lines including comments) to display those images one at a time, writing a config file entry for Imagination (default transition: ‘cross fade’) based on when the image-viewer application (‘display,’ from the GraphicsMagick suite) is closed on each one; run that, read each image aloud, then close each image in turn. 3. run ‘Imagination’ over the config file to produce a silent MP4 video with the correct timings. 4. run ‘Audacity’ to record speech while using ‘SMPlayer’ to display the silent video, then export that recording as a WAV file. 4a. optionally, use ‘TiMIDIty’ to convert a non-copyright-encumbered MIDI tune to WAV, then import that and blend it with the speech (as a quiet b

new life for an old (FTX) PSU, improved life for one human

the LEDs on this 5m strip happen to emit light centred on a red that does unexpectedly helpful things to (and surprisingly deeply within) a human routinely exposed to it. it has been soldered to a Molex connector, plugged into a TFX power supply from a (retired: the MoBo is cactus) Small Form Factor PC, the assorted PSU connectors (and loose end from the strip) have been taped over. the LED strip cost $10.24 including postage, the rest cost $0, the PSU is running at 12½% of capacity, consumes less power than a laptop plug-pack despite running a fan. trial runs begin today.

boundaries

pushing the actual boundaries of the physical (not extremes, the boundaries themselves) can often remove barriers not otherwise perceived. one can then often resolve an issue itself, rather than merely stonewalling at the physical consequences of the issue.