There have now been more flaws in the Firefox browser this year than in Microsoft’s Internet Explorer.
I think this needs considerable qualifying:
- The Firefox team have fixed more things than the MSIE team this year;
- MSIE has over six times as many outstanding (unfixed) bugs as Firefox;
- MSIE’s many outstanding flaws are rated “Highly critical”, FF’s few are rated “Less critical”;
- Working wild exploits for FF: zero; for MSIE: hundreds;
- Because MSIE is closed-source, only a very few people can audit it, but anybody can audit FF;
- This cannot be written off to popularity, since MSIE’s exposure far outweighs the popularity ratio.
For some interesting if somewhat unnerving statistics, see here:
For the record, I use the Konqueror web browser.