Skip to main content

Harmless Good Deed for the Day?

Friday was kind of busy, but I did one thing (finally) which I think nobody can criticise. After visiting a workplace in town, grabbing lunch at Govindas, & visiting the Perth library to renew a book so I could read it on the ’plane to Adelaide, I wandered down to the Perth Underground railway station to catch a train up to Joondalup to finish (most of) the things I needed to do then.

Sitting on the northwest end of the platform, I noticed a lady (maybe late 30s, turned out to be from Ethiopia, tucked in the right-hand corner there near Sudan, Kenya & Somalia) was sweltering in the heat, & carrying a load of present-like shopping.

Now, I had packed a “recycled” 1.25l softdrink bottle with rainwater to hand to Mwikisa (Zambian fellow boarding with Mardie) when he finished his shift at Joondalup Hospital at 15:00 <1>, so I handed her this, a most welcome gift. Her reactions were simple, pleasant, uncomplicated thankfulness.

Mwikisa did get his drink (which was most welcome also) ’coz after a complicated run up to Joondalup <2> I dropped in at Woolworths & grabbed a $1 bottle of Ginger Beer for him <3>.

Now after all of this fluffing around & indirection, it so chanced that I rolled up at the hospital door at precisely 15:00.

En route again <4> I’d managed to pick up some necessary items of stationery, which will have eliminated more running around on Monday, & give me extra time to walk Mwikisa through some IT basics like copying files around, ripping CDs & burning CD/DVDs.


Footnotes:

  1. we were going to look at laptops for him, he’ll probably grab a $1200 Toshiba; I’m pleased because it was his decision, not a hand-held one from me
  2. the trains stopped at Whitfords Station while workers reattached the line under Moore Drive near Clarkson, so I took an indirect run & dropped off some CDs to an op-shoppy thing in Caridean Street off Hodges Drive en route
  3. also en route to the Joondalup Library to renew & hand in some books.
  4. no, there aren’t many trees in the way, that’s just English borrowing en Francais

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...