Skip to main content

The eyes have it, mostly

I had my eyes checked out yesterday, and it turns out that the focussing issues I’m facing are both fairly “normal” for head injuries & also not permanent, which is excellent. By a coincidence (it hasn’t anything to do with my appointment) Stephen Leslie, the optometrist, has a lot of cycling patients, mostly the unimpacted kind.

I get to wear a pair of glasses to help the focus, while my brain comes back up to speed on using both the focus & my eyes as a pair (focussing & aiming them together, for example).

I’m really being looked after about the eye damage, because I took a major impact on my left eyebrow, which usually results in some form of eye injury, but hasn’t this time, apparently.

I got to count the staples during my last dressing change, and there are 45 of them. Thankfully, unless something’s pushing against one, I can’t feel them. I’m glad to be so conveniently built, since I now have some idea of what it would be like with all staples under tension. Yurgh!

I can feel my head healing up gradually over the days; parts of my eyebrows that were hooked up to the cut kind of directly have relaxed, for example. This means I now have the luxury of scratching an eyebrow without flinching as I did earlier in the week. The disinfectant spray-on stuff which was attached to my head is finally beginning to dry up & fall away, too.

Looking forward to surviving my staplectomy on Monday. (-:

Comments

Leon RJ Brooks said…
Staples here for the curious.

Sorry about the quality of the shot. As you can well imagine, a self-taken image would be kind of difficult.

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...