Skip to main content

Things which can come unstuck after a few months

This list is far from complete. )-:

  • the little data fetch you set up a day or two before you go off air chews up several gigabytes and fills up a /var partition
  • even after the assorted data are moved or erased, some logs have meanwhile become so large that they now fail to rotate in the several freed gigabytes, taking down services
  • the card reader which “unloads” your digital camera’s memory goes wonkey
  • excellent, skilled mechanics lose track of how far through a job they are and what else needs to be done about it
  • tiny traffic fines and the like sneak up from from minor distractions to no-licence territory
  • a temporary re-citizenship expires, entailing endless administrative complications
  • minor ATO bills and the like go from relatively-trivial to knocking on Court doors
  • trivial wear and tear on many items can work up to catastrophe through lack of maintenance
  • etc, ad mauseum: really ad nauseum

OK, even remembering huge, careful and persistent efforts by people like The Book-Keeping Network and similar crew towards untangling many surprising details (hurrah!), and even acknowleging the extensive and valuable learning and experience involved outside that, I’m now seriously ready to adopt a more reduced-trauma lifestyle.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Leon,
Your fully consumed hard drive appears to be causing you mail trauma as well. We'll feel very discomfited when we see mail to you bouncing.

Please take pity on our Leon-deprived net-souls and give us some reassurance that your virtual self continues fully manifest!

Terry
Leon RJ Brooks said…
Terry;

Thanks for the headzup! I suspect that’s a hard drive to which I have only indirect access, nevertheless I’ll do what I can ASAP.

Another item for the original list: speeding fines (notice of which is snail-mailed to one just as one headbutts some idiot’s apparently deliberately opened car door) do not automatically disappear just because one happens to be comatose for a month.
Anonymous said…
Leon,
come back to the Bar soon.

Kathie
Leon RJ Brooks said…
Kathie: now that I am home and have a real-ish internet again, I shall.

Thank you for the reminder. I have two partial Honorverse-set shortish stories to exhume and do a little finishing and polishing on, too. If they seem to work out OK, I shall get them rated by mere humans and then hopefully by a few genuine maestri.

For those who don’t know what “the Bar” is, the addiction awaits herein. It helped (I grabbed a CD image with blessings from David Weber and Jim Baen, and they have at least four new addicts now) keep me sane through my necessary big-time physical repairs. (-:

First I need to find and repair most (maybe all) of the dents that my email server took from various well-intended attempts by others (including my otherwise generally good ISP) to "fix" it. I probably need not emphasise this, but know it to be true that systematic software simplicity and reliability have grown new strengths in my heart, even at the potential risk (in this case) of reading a little more spam.

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...