Skip to main content

Geekness as a love advantage

Title got your eye? Well, two pieces of research, ahem, underly it.

This article points out altruism as a marital advantage. Contra this, a truly stunning number of people (-: no, they’re not all blokes :-) see the most fundamental part of marriage as being the mattrial (or elsewhere, regarded as safer if it’s private) oscillations; while this aspect does have a definite and important role to play, this study (linked from the above article too) reinforces the other by carefully and scientifically determining from their subjects that love is by and large a far more powerful motivator than the odd excitable ex— I mean, er, conclusive oscillation session, implying it to remain thoroughly so even with the imaginable [by me, anyway, sans emesis] leather/air/flavoured/etc aids and such.

Since many geekoid acts are at some level altrusitic and since many geeks like to — tongue-in-cheek at last — carefully l\bstick down every detail in a situation, the results for Mr and Mrs Geekish (or even a one-half-geekoid marriage-type situation) are looking quite... well... “attractive” is probably the most appropriate Anglic word to use, and a relatively safe one as well.

Now, I know that this is an imperfect Universe, but within it I tend to accept the good parts as they become available and dodge the nasties likewise (one notable failure a couple of months ago, which has in fact remarkably avoided being the total disaster I would expect, hurrah!) — this part’s looking quite beneficial now, despite me having already surfed far more goodness than such a non-attractive event foreshadowed. I’ll (a little rashly, I guess) take it as a kind of continuation of those unreasonable goodlets and watch carefully.

Comments

Leon RJ Brooks said…
I wanted to underscore the emphasis on said notable event.

While it was not quite a total disaster, it missed by precious little.

While it has been a slight and important underbid on the totally extensive damage that I would expect from the descriptions and shocking MRI scans (that is, I live and am gradually recovering some functionality) it has already been quite a long distance from the breeze-through that many people interpret those words to mean.

I was in a coma for about a month, within a whisker of DOA in two different ways, awake-ish in hospitals for another month afterwards, plus much exercise, tablets, injections, tubes, gadgets and repair work, plus much effort from many people (skilled, plus friends and relatives, for a part example), plus so much more medical and hospital detail than I can hope to even remember (which loss is itself a symptom of a major whack on the head) to type here, plus bad hits in work and financial terms, and the toll goes on and on.

Still very thankful to have not hit a few of the predicted kinds of damage full tilt and head on, you understand — that is a miracle in itself — just entirely uncomfortable with the idea of anyone being fool enough to underestimate the damage (and the remains) badly enough to take a likely-lethal and/or high-pain risk along the same lines themselves. Taking such a risk would be stupid, painful and suicidal one way or another. Avoid it!
Leon RJ Brooks said…
Re: being awake in hospitals — that time is only so far, and omits having my head stuck back together again.

In general, I hope you never have to do this — but sitting through the careful, detailed, polite descriptions of why one should carefully wear a stack-hat from now on is a fairly motivating way (inspiring but not in the sense of gladness) to understand why cranioplasty (sticking the skull back together-ish afterwards) is so very important. And pain-reducing. And horror-story-avoiding. And so on.

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...