Skip to main content

Road rage as a participatory sport

I pulled out onto Erindale Road today, turning right (north) from Delawney Street behind another vehicle. Fully expecting them to proceed smoothly and knowing that there was plenty of shelter from the traffic islands to do this if they bailed, I followed them across two very temporarily empty lanes.

When they propped instead of proceeding, I widened my turn and parked behind their left rear quarter, not blocking the driver’s view of northbound traffic, and waited for them to pick a gap in said traffic and get on with it.

Instead of looking for a gap, the driver and her boyfriend ignored the traffic and started verbally abusing me — and I do mean abusing, too, starting with “WTF do you think you’re doing?” and working down from there to coarse and most uninformed discussions of my anatomy and habits.

So I picked my own gap and drove off past them. There was plenty of room for them to follow me, but they were much too busy with important things like hurling abuse and feeling self-righteous to actually pay any attention to the traffic. Another driver waiting on Delawney for the intersection to clear started abusing them for continuing to block it as I dwindled rapidly from view.

I saw no reports of Balcatta riots on the evening news, so I presume they were able to settle their remaining differences without bloodshed, but it does make me wonder just what sends someone so troppo, makes it so necessary for their own (wrong, IMESHO) PoV to be heard that they completely lose the plot while still in nominal control of a tonne or two of potentially lethal metal in the middle of four very busy lanes of traffic.

If abuse is going to be handed out, it might as well server a useful purpose, for which I much prefer my own techniques.

I employed one particular technique out of the window as a passenger many years ago to great effect while changing premises from Rockingham to Kardinya: the driver of another vehicle had begun to pull out of a tee junction directly in front of our heavily laden sedan plus trailer and my driver had to swerve into the other lane (to the horror of a driver there) to avoid a collision. I screamed “ABUSE!” at them at the top of my lungs as we passed. The driver hadn’t heard what I said, but his passenger did and was laughing so hard that he couldn’t coherently explain to his driver. They were both still laughing when they pulled up next to us at a traffic light in Spearwood about 10km later.

In tangentially related news I recently acquired a VHS-tape-sized "Perth Compact Street Directory" for AUD$10 from BigW with the intent of carrying it in my backpack while out cycling, and it turned out to be most useful for getting a street name right and for picking the correct street out of the relatively low-res imagery sections of Rockingham.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...