Skip to main content

Remembering Roger -- Trains

One of the things which many grandchildren remember Grandpa Roger for is his passion for model railways. In his voluminous and varied collection of literature (and “varied” is not a term I use here lightly), I found a little book of poems by a local (Hilton) bloke named Andrew Morling and entitled The Lament of the Railway Modeller which it turns out Roger was given by the author.

The book is full of entertaining poems on topics as diverse as office automation, garlic and aviaries, but centred around railway modelling; if you’d like a copy, drop an email to authorsfullname@bigpond.com (no spaces, dots or anything in the name) or ask me for his ’phone number. Andrew has graciously permitted me to use one of his poems (which Roger would have cheerfully confessed to resembling):


It’s not for me, it’s for the boy

He came inside and brought his wife, they’d come to buy a train,
I asked them was there anything they’d like me to explain,
“I’m after something basic, but a bit more than a toy,
You see — it’s not for me, it’s for the boy.”

He asked a lot of questions as he look through all the trains,
“Does this one go with that one? Can I plug it in the mains?
I want to get it all set up before I let him play,
That’s why I didn’t bring him here today.”

While he sorted through the track to get enough for 13 feet,
His wife was looking pale so I had offered her a seat.
“I’d like the great big diesel but he’d want this little one,
I know it’s gonna give him lots of fun.”

Well he chose the little loco and picked out a string of trucks,
Then we added up the price and found it came to 40 bucks.
He said, “I meant to spend just 35 — but what the heck,
I’ll get some from the car, it won’t take a sec.”

I waited with his wife ’cos outside was pretty bleak,
“The trouble is,” she said, “the boys was only born last week.”
Then he came back with the money, took the trains and beamed with joy,
“You see it’s not for me; it’s for the boy.”


The main poem, the Lament, is hilarious.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lovely warm poetry
I used to work with Andrew when he was in the Public Service.
I have a copy of the book in a box somewhere...
I wanted to find the ode to the staff development officer where he polishes the whiteboard as he ways for the class to arrive.
MikE:-)

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...