Skip to main content

Lest we forget

I plonked down a Linux workstation in an all-MS-Windows (workstations, anyway) site yesterday, and it really did show to me all of the myriad ways that MS-Windows wears you down. It felt so strange to think, “Oh, yes, I can swipe-and-middle-click to paste” and “Oh, yes, I can just run this program on the remote machine and it will all Just Work™” (not to mention “Oh, yes, ‘man:programname’ works in this browser”) and so on.

Normally, I feel a little like this when I get home from work, but the feeling is really emphasised by association — everything in my environment reminded me that I was working in a handicapped (MS-Windows) situation and highlighted the differences between them.

However, the big reminder came from one of the users’ workstations suddenly spitting a flock of warnings from Symantec’s email proxy. The user’s virus updates had slipped by one week, they’d been canvassed by some infected spam about the possibility of turning to the dark side of the internet, and MS-Lookout-Express had kindly said “Yes” on their behalf. Seven hours, three viruses and thirty-eight pieces of spyware later, I managed to fight the machine back to a position where the remaining three pieces of firmly entrenched spyware (including variants of SpySherrif and ICannNews which were working together to make SpySweeper’s job impossible) weren’t bringing the machine to its knees within seconds of startup completing.

When I explained (and showed) this to the machine’s user, he backed up his files, email and bookmarks, then went and got a Mac. He is now a very happy ThunderBird (“Reclaim your Inbox!”) user, and the experience prompted two other users (out of 30) in the office to drop LookOut in favour of it.

Another user switched on Monday after Sober.X got him. The virus updater had stopped working and would not say why, so I whomped up a script to “manually” pull down the updates, and included running them in each machine’s startup ritual. Yesterday’s machine got hit in spite of no less than three virus scanners and a spyware blocker.

On Linux, none of this has ever been necessary, and nor has the fear and uncertainty entrained by it.

Also, the tools to work around it are just scattered about underfoot, one doesn’t have to troll the ’net looking for them or hope that none of the “tools” you’re downloading are also trojans or infected. Yes, I am preaching to the choir — they could always be more evangelical. (-:

It’s worth pointing out that the remaining trojans were (are) not even detected by AdAware, SpyBot, Symantec’s virus scanners, Microsoft's antispyware kit, ClamAV, Sophos Sweep or Stinger. To zap the last three nasties, and presuming that there’s nothing else hiding on the drive that SpyScanner didn’t pick up either, I’d have to pull the drive out, delete the files using another machine, reinstall it, and run the system repair thingy. We’re not going to bother. I’ll boot a Mandrake installer CD and do a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda today, then their resident tech dude will reinstall the machine. Modulo two specific vertical-market WINE-hostile apps, they’d have been running Linux on 22 out of 28 workstations by the end of the week.

Cognitive dissonance will eventually erase the ugly experience of having your files wiped, your machine trashed, and your IP address SORBS-listed, so it’s worth asking people about their experiences from time to time, just to keep the memory fresh and motivating, lest we forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...