Skip to main content

Albany, hoons, judges, laptop

I went on a necessary trip to Albany yesterday, and since I was down there anyway, took some nice pictures from the top of Castle Rock (to be downloaded and posted shortly). In the course of walking up the hill to get there, I discovered that being able to ride 40km without obvious fatigue doesn’t necessarily prepare one for being able to climb ≅600m without obvious fatigue, and I was dizzy and panting like a dog by halfway up. I felt very old.

The trip back provided some entertainment. Once on the freeway, I came across a “muscle car” ute trying to find someone to prove himself better than, so I accelerated a little, making as if to gradually pass him, with predictable results. He obviously didn’t consider my junky old Peugeot worth racing against, but still didn’t want anyone getting in front of him. So I stayed on his case until he needed to nip ahead to avoid being trapped by slower vehicles, then pulled out into the next lane again once he was through the constriction, once more making as if to overtake him. He responded by ripping off ahead at ≅150km/h, ducking and diving between traffic and off at the Duncraig exit... now accompanied by a dark sedan with a blue winky light on its roof.

Chris Samuel didn’t quite capture the full flavour of Judge John E. Jones III’s ruling. The commentary includes this little gem:

To preserve the separation of church and state mandated by the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, we will enter an order permanently enjoining Defendants from maintaining the ID Policy in any school within the Dover Area School District, from requiring teachers to denigrate or disparage the scientific theory of evolution, and from requiring teachers to refer to a religious, alternative theory known as ID.

IOW, if you develop a better theory than Evolution — religious or not — you somehow have to avoid speaking negatively of Evolution in order to present it in any school in Dover.

IANAL and all, but the whole show clearly looks like a man with a flea in his ear about something rather than an impartial judgement, and will probably (and ironically) be used some day as a textbook example (but in appropriate legal terms) of overreach. What he’s come within a whisker of effectively doing is create a new Index Librorum Prohibitorum for just one US State’s schools, which would get a lot of people excited if he’d been one whit less restrained. Even the limited prohibition he’s ordered will have interesting social consequences.

Said consequences aside, it would be much more rewarding (for me, at least) to read better explanations for the ID crew’s examples than their own, or the sole alternative I’ve seen: a visit from the Scaffolding Fairy.

Also, it looks like it’s Laptop Day today. I’ll let you know how that one goes as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...