Skip to main content

Non-computer corporate bullies

For your amusement, the contents of Coles’ online feedback form:

The basic issue concerns me taking photographs in your stores. The staff at Wanneroo very politely told me that this was not allowed. Points for the staff, they did their job.

They were unable to explain why I was not allowed to photograph. Shame on Coles for not keeping them informed.

The local [cool site, for a supermarket, pardon the 100m long URL] Dewsons store was quite happy to let me photograph, once I had assured them that I was not from Coles and was not there noting prices so that Coles could undercut them.

I am not interested in being told that I can’t take photos in what amounts (lawyers and technical details notwithstanding) to a public place.

Dewsons had a valid reason for questioning me, but went ahead and let me photograph (and write down prices, even! I’m teaching my children about food). Coles did not even ask questions, just said “no”.

In terms of shutting out the competition, this policy is just dumb, because if I was a competitor scoping the store out, I’d use a boring-looking but high quality camera ’phone and just take enough pictures while pretending to shop and talk to be sure I had everything covered, then gradually walk away from my trolley, “hang up” and leave. You’d never know what I’d done. If I was a terrorist, you’d never know that either because I’m a Caucasian dressed in jeans and tee shirt. Try banning ’phones from your stores and see how far you get.

I’m not interested in contributing to that mindset. The very least Coles can do is not leave your staff in the lurch, give them a reason for the policy. Better still, Coles could let me know that the policy has been declared witless and rescinded.

Awaiting Coles’ response with some anticipation.

Looks like I’ll be shopping a Dewsons from now on...

Comments

skribe said…
Woolies have never even bothered me when I've been taking pictures. It happens so often at the Perth store - admittedly mostly with cameraphones - I think they can no longer be bothered.

As for Dewsons, I've had my say.

You should activate verification for comments. It's under Settings -> Comments. If you're not being hassled by spam commenters already you soon will be.

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...