Skip to main content

Lest I forget

Last night was spent playing Don Quixote (well, Pancho) with dying hardware and scads of MS-Windows machines.

How shall I put this...?

I’ve been spoiled.

Really spoiled.

I’ve even griped that this “workstation” (it’s a busy server, too), with 512MB of RAM, can take up to ten seconds to start OpenOffice Writer, depending on how it feels.

Last night, I watched an MS-Windows-2000 machine wallowing along with a “mere” 1024MB (e.g. 47 seconds to start NotePad), several XP machines struggling to boot with 256MB, two which take more than a minute to start OOw out of 512MB of RAM. Eeeyugh. And that’s without any viruses.

What staggers me is that the people who use these machines daily don’t complain. It’s “normal”. Life goes on.

You’d never credit these same people with being the fanatical support crew for expensive (but amazingly capable) office appliances. They sure as heck wouldn’t put up with such randomness and misbehaviour in their own products.

I watched file-shares rez in and evapourate at will, and others go read-only without provocation. I watched while another consultant put up a file-share which didn’t appear. Fifteen minutes later, I took it down. put it back up again, et viola: there she was.

I watched “identical” machines: one wanted a reboot after a config change, the one next to it did not. Another suddenly decided that it was going to reboot in one minute, and could not be dissuaded. Down it counted, and — boo-wing! — there she went! Too bad if I’d had something open and unsaved, eh?

And on, and on, and on. Nearly 30 different workstations, each with its own bizarre trait.

To get me off Linux again, you’d need a chisel, a big mallet and considerable time. I don’t need the ulcers. I don’t need the hair loss.

I also watched a Novell server die. Halfway through a migration.

I think of Novell as unkillable, but an exploding hard disk will do it every time. I’m so glad we took a paranoia backup on Saturday night. My laptop is now a file server, until Mirage (a silver box to my right, currently developing chronic Mandriva) is installed later this morning.

Much as the “B” Ark’s captain enjoyed the bagpiping, I’m enjoying working on lots of MS-Windows machines. It’s teaching me to appreciate Linux so very, very much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...