Skip to main content

New boots all around

Since I’d just bought a new set of black shoes and a new set of sneakers, I guess the FOSTFLG Beastie decided that it wanted some too. I stopped at the bottom of our street on my way home from a ride to have a quick glance at a garage sale. I toddled around the sale, then came back out to the front again and had a yarn with the proprietor, and towards the end of this, the front tube popped and released a lot of air around the valve, psssshooo, sending the tyre dead flat in about three seconds.

Since the tyres on FOSTFLG are old and perished, I bought a new set and new tubes, then pulled the old one off, but I can’t see the hole. The air was definitely coming out from around the valve, not through it, and very quickly, but there’s not the obvious hole I expected, even after pumping it up a bit. I checked my recent patch very carefully, and that’s still nicely sealed all around.

The new tyre is a Dunlop MTB design rather than an MTB-ish road tyre, and wants to be inflated to 40PSI instead of 50. We’ll see how it goes later today, and maybe then swap the back one as well, which has shown no signs of stress but is now quite worn.

That will make $10 for bike, $30 for lights, $50 for tyres and tubes so far. Perhaps I should spend a little more on an odometer so I can calculate the $/km compared with a car.

I also grabbed a purple and black femme-styled $10 MTB which needed a new stand, a little air and some oil, and a $5 child-sized bike which I haven’t looked at too closely yet but seems to be about the same (except that it came with a fairly recently replaced stand). It will need trainer wheels if Xan is to ride it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...