Skip to main content

Football spider

Photo of a Football SpiderSnapped at my neice Erin’s 18th today. As a birthday present, her fiancee left the country tonight (he’s off to be a youth counsellor in the USA for three months).

The spider was very difficult to image clearly as it was gyrating madly from a single strand hung under its web. If you boost the image brightness ’til it hurts, you’ll notice that the background is lighter to the left, that's a tin shed wall about 3m away. Actual size is about 3cm tip to tip.

Red and white, whose team colours are those, Sydney Swans?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi there, i would like to ask you if i am allowed to use your spider picture for a photo manipulation?

kind regards
Sascha
austux said…
Go right ahead... I will scan my hard drive backups presently to see if I have the uncropped original image available.
Anonymous said…
Thank you very much! I really appreciate that! I have to mention, that i already finished my manipulation. I found your image here: http://www.copyright-free-images.com/fauna-animals-copyright-free-images/insects-and-bugs-copyright-free-images/spiders-free-images/spider-at-night.jpg.html

But i didn't feel right using it, so i had to ask you for permission!

I'm really glad that you agree!
Heres the result: http://b-o-k-e.deviantart.com/art/Water-Spider-317667288
austux said…
Impressive. You're obviously having fun.

Ich spreche etwas Deutsch, wenn überhaupt, aber einige Bilder erfordern keine Übersetzung. Es gibt mehr Creative Commons Bilder hier.
Anonymous said…
Vielen Dank!

I'll let you know in case i use another picture you've taken!
austux said…
keine Sorgen!

Take the time to read this to absorb it one day. It works for me. (-:
Anonymous said…
I read it, and i totally agree! =)

Popular posts from this blog

An Open and Shut response to Darl McBride

Hi, Darl. I see you’re being dishonest again . It’d be really nice if you could shoot straight for a change, but I think Kerry’s Dad will be selling snowplows in Hell first. Three years ago, when I first joined The SCO Group, we focused the company on the area that was most profitable and provided the most benefit to customers, investors, resellers, developers and employees: UNIX No, you focused the company on suing people, which was most profitable to lawyers and provided some golden parachutes for your buddies. People thought we were crazy. They were right. But since SCO owns the UNIX operating system The SCO Group does not own UNIX® in any sense of the word. The Open Group owns the UNIX trademark, definition and other rights , The SCO Group does not. The SCO Group doesn’t even own the UnixWare® or OpenServer® code, the rights to those are held by Novell and TSG use them only by permission and under certain conditions — which they have violate...

5x7 text dot-matrix in five minutes...

This is a fairly primitive toy I threw together today for a specific purpose, published in case it’s any use to others... feed it a list of words as command arguments, which it will then display as a 5x7 ASCII dotmatrix with ‘#’ as a dot & ‘_’ as a blank. /* * display text using a 5x7 bitmap font in ASCII letters */ static unsigned char font [] [5] = { { 0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00 }, // 0x20 32 { 0x00,0x00,0x6f,0x00,0x00 }, // ! 0x21 33 { 0x00,0x07,0x00,0x07,0x00 }, // " 0x22 34 { 0x14,0x7f,0x14,0x7f,0x14 }, // # 0x23 35 { 0x00,0x07,0x04,0x1e,0x00 }, // $ 0x24 36 { 0x23,0x13,0x08,0x64,0x62 }, // % 0x25 37 { 0x36,0x49,0x56,0x20,0x50 }, // & 0x26 38 { 0x00,0x00,0x07,0x00,0x00 }, // ' 0x27 39 { 0x00,0x1c,0x22,0x41,0x00 }, // ( 0x28 40 { 0x00,0x41,0x22,0x1c,0x00 }, // ) 0x29 41 { 0x14,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x14 }, // * 0x2a 42 { 0x08,0x08,0x3e,0x08,0x08 }, ...

Citizens Augmenting Government Waste

So here we have Microsoft-funded “ Citizens Against Government Waste ” (CAGW) heavily criticising Massachusetts’s switch to an internationally accepted and open document standard (not open source, open standard — but I seem to remember a large monopolist who frequently confuses the two when it suits them). I remember CAGW, they were the organisation who had dead people writing in to support Microsoft in court a few years ago — thanks to sbergman27 for the link — is this “the dead hand of CAGW” at work again? Let’s follow the money and find out. Who stands to lose the most money and control if Massachusetts switches to an unencumbered document format? Big surprise, it’s CAGW sponsor Microsoft, through their dominant MS-Office suite. Why did CAGW list Microsoft’s suite last, after two other much-less-dominant examples which are waning anyway? If you’re inclined to wallow in additional irony, consider that at leas...